First, a recap. Late last year, we were able to secure home equity lines of credit for an amount that, while coming close to what we'd need to build the studio as hoped for as well as two separate rental units (one, a new build, and the other, a conversion), didn't quite cut the mustard to do all three at the initially hoped-for scope. For a while, therefore, we thought we'd reduce the size of the studio build with the idea that sometime down the line, with more funds, we'd add on to it, while retaining the two separate rental units.
After much mulling over the holidays, my wife and I decided on a new direction for the upcoming projects.
The more we turned the issue over in our heads, the more it felt like reducing the studio, temporarily or not, felt like maximal effort for rather minimal gain.
So we opted to go with maxing out the studio size and converting my current studio into an ADU, but leaving the mother-in-law unit, the pro…